We have put together a list of 5 South Indian egg recipes that you can try at home.
5 South Indian Egg Recipes Part 4: Chettinad Egg
India is a country known for its spectacular regional cuisines that are versatile and extensive to the core.
You can see the instant shift of vibrant colors and flavors as we move from one region to another, with different cooking styles, techniques and ingredients.
While North Indian food is an amalgamation of bold spices, South Indian cuisine has a spicy twist with a touch of aromatic seeds, coconut oil and much more. Speaking of South Indian cuisine, it is diversified, with exquisite dishes from Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Telangana, Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh.
From Chettinad recipes to Bagara recipes, South India is known for both non-veg and vegetarian dishes. But did you know it also has a wide variety of egg dishes?
We have put together a list of 5 South Indian egg recipes that you can try at home. In this blog we discuss the fourth recipe:
Well, now is the time to put a fiery spin on your regular egg curry. Chettinad recipes are known for its super spicy flavors. This recipe for Chettinad eggs is made with boiled eggs slathered in a mixture of spices, onion, tomato and coconut milk. Here's the full recipe for you.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Number of people: 2
Dish type: dinner
- 6 eggs – hard-boiled
- 3 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 ginger paste
- 2 tsp garlic paste
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 5 cm cinnamon stick
- 3 onions, ground
- 250 grams tomatoes, peeled, seeded and ground
- 250ml water
- 350 ml coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- chopped coriander
- Peel the eggs and halve them lengthwise.
For the spice paste:
- Grind coriander powder, chili powder, 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, cumin, turmeric, ginger and garlic along with 2 tablespoons water.
- Heat oil, fry fenugreek and fennel seeds with the cinnamon for 10 seconds.
- Stir in the onion. Fry it until golden brown.
- Add the spice paste, cook for a further 5 minutes and pour in a little water to prevent it from burning.
- Stir in the tomatoes.
- After 3 minutes, add water and let it simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and heat it again.
- Add lime juice to spice it up.
- Add the eggs and serve warm.
Related products in this article: