Recipe: Chicken Curry Andhra Style
Andhra's chicken curries can be an absolute must with its combination of fiery spices and nutty texture. Here we have a great Andhra style chicken curry recipe that you can easily make at home.
Also known as Andhra Kodi Kura, this chicken curry recipe is from Chef Srinu of the Southern Spice restaurant. Andhra cuisine is known for its fiery hot and spicy dishes and this chicken recipe is no exception.
An authentic Andhra recipe full of tasty spices and rich gravy. However, Andhra chicken curry has many versions, such as in coastal areas it is cooked with ground coconut or coconut milk. A really quick and easy chicken recipe that can be cooked in under an hour but looks exquisite and rich for a perfect dinner party. Full of rich spices, herbs and cashews, this one is not to be missed!
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Preparation time: 35 minutes
Number of people: 4
Type of dish: dinner
- 3 tablespoons of refined oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 green cardamom
- 3 cloves
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1/2 kg chicken (cut into bite-sized pieces)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups of water
- 2 green chillies (split)
- Handful of curry leaves
- 2 teaspoons of red chilli powder
- 2 tbsp cashew nut - poppy seed paste (Soak 15 cashew nuts and 1 tbsp poppy seed in a cup of milk for an hour. Grind it into a paste.)
- 2 teaspoons of chicken masala
- 2 teaspoons kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaf)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoons dhaniya powder (coriander powder)
- for garnish: chopped coriander leaves
- In a wok, add refined oil. Add a bay leaf, green cardamom, cloves, cinnamon. Let them release the aroma.
- Now add onions. Fry the onion until golden brown and then add the ginger-garlic paste.
- Mix and add the chicken pieces. Bake until they start to color a little.
- Now add the turmeric and possibly the salt. Stir and add water.
- Add the green pepper and curry leaves. Let the curry simmer.
- Add the red chilli powder, cashew nut poppy seed paste, chicken masala, kasoori methi, garam masala and dhaniya powder.
- Mix well and let the curry simmer until the chicken is cooked through. Add more water if necessary.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with steamed rice.
Related products in this article: