Vegan Recipe: Rajma
It seems like a tricky prospect to find Indian recipes that are one hundred percent plant-based - we tend to like our chicken and dairy.
But there is a whole wealth of fantastic recipes that are completely vegan without an odd Indo-Western twist.
Served with rice, rajma is completely vegan if you take out the little bit of fresh cream you would normally use to garnish.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Number of persons: 2
Dish type: dinner
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tomato, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger root
- 1 cup red kidney beans (soaked overnight and drained)
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Salt to taste
- 6 sprigs coriander, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons almond oil
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Add the onions and cook until soft and translucent for about three minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes and cook for about five minutes until almost dry.
- Stir in garlic and ginger and let it cook for three minutes.
- Add kidney beans, pepper and salt.
- Slowly stir water into the pan, 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time, until your gravy has reached your desired consistency.
- Garnish with coriander and pour generously over a plate of steamed rice.
Related products in this article: