100% natural without additives
100% plant based
Contains dietary fiber
Contains minerals, vitamin B and antioxidants
Suitable for vegetarian food
Idly mix is a convenient mix used to easily prepare idlys, a popular South Indian delicacy. This mix is made from a combination of ground rice and lentils, and also contains spices and salt.
All you have to do is add water, mix the mix well into a smooth batter and let the batter ferment. Then you can pour the batter into idly steaming racks and steam until the idlys are fluffy and soft.
Idly mix offers the convenience of quick preparation without sacrificing the authentic taste and texture of traditional idly's. It is an ideal choice for South Indian food lovers who like to enjoy fresh idly with minimal effort.
Nutritional value per 100 g
Energy value/Calories: 1339.8 kJ/ 320 kcal
Fat: 1 g
Of which saturated: 0 g
Carbohydrates: 68 g
Of which sugars: 0 g
Fiber: 2 g
Protein: 10 g
Salt: 4.1 g
Sodium: 1640 mg
This product is packaged and/or stored in a company that also processes products containing nuts, peanuts, mustard, celery, sesame, shellfish, soy, sulphites, fish and molluscs. Despite all precautions, it is possible that this product contains traces of these allergens.
Store in a cool, dark and dry place. After opening, transfer contents to an airtight container.
To make idlies with the idly mix, follow these steps:
- Take the desired amount of idly mix in a bowl.
- Add water to the mix and stir well until you get a thick batter. The batter should have the consistency of pancake batter. Make sure there are no lumps in the batter. For the correct ratio, see the description on the packaging.
- Cover the bowl and let the batter rest for 15-20 minutes. This helps make the idlies light and airy.
- Meanwhile, grease the idly plates or molds with a little oil.
- Heat an idly maker or steamer on the stove and bring water to a boil.
- Pour the batter into the idly plates, filling them about three quarters full. Place the idly maker or steamer over the boiling water and steam the idlies for about 10-12 minutes, or until tender. Insert a fork into the center and remove, should come out clean when the idlies are cooked.
- Carefully remove the idlies from the idly maker or steamer and let them cool for a few minutes before serving.
Note: You can adjust this instant idly mix to your taste by adding chopped vegetables, such as carrots, bell peppers or peas, to the batter before steaming the idlies. You can also add finely chopped herbs such as coriander and curry leaves for extra flavour.
Idly mix is a common food item in South Indian cuisine. It is used to make idlis, which are soft and fluffy steamed rice cakes. Here are some uses of idly mix:
- Idli's: The most obvious application of idly mix is making idli's. The dough is made by mixing idly mix with water and possibly yoghurt. The resulting batter is then fermented and steamed to get delicious idlis. Idlis are often served with sambar (a lentil soup) and chutneys.
- Dosas: Idly mix can also be used to make dosas. Dosa is a thin and crispy pancake made from fermented rice and lentil batter. By mixing idly mix with water and possibly yoghurt, a batter can be made that can be used to bake dosas.
- Uthappam: Uthappam is a thick savory pancake similar to a dosa. Idly mix can be used to make the batter for uthappam. The batter is poured onto a baking tray and baked into a thick pancake. Uthappam is often served with chutneys or sambar.
- Paniyaram: Paniyarams are small, round and savory snacks made from fermented batter. Idly mix can be used to make the batter for paniyarams. The batter is poured into a special paniyaram pan and fried into small, fluffy balls. Paniyarams can be eaten with chutneys or sambar.
- Other dishes: In addition to the classic uses mentioned above, idly mix can also be used as a base for other creative dishes. For example, it can be used as a binder in vegetable croquettes, to make fritters or even in desserts such as rice pancakes.
The use of idly mix is versatile and offers various possibilities to prepare delicious South Indian dishes.