Vegan Recipe: Sabudana Khichdi
It seems like a tricky prospect to find Indian recipes that are one hundred percent plant-based - we tend to like our chicken and dairy.
But there is a whole wealth of fantastic recipes that are completely vegan without an odd Indo-Western twist.
Easily the most interesting variant of khichdi. Normally this is prepared with lentils and rice. This variant is made with sago. And, it is one hundred percent vegan.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Number of persons: 2
Type of dish: dinner
- 1 cup sabudana (sago)
- 1 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 medium potato, diced
- ¼ cup peanuts, raw
- 1-2 green chillies, finely chopped
- 6-8 curry leaves, chopped
- Salt to taste
- Red chili powder, to taste
- 1 tablespoon coriander to garnish
- Rinse sabundana in the water a few times until the water runs clear.
- Soak in water overnight or for a minimum of 5-6 hours (the longer the better).
- Drain after soaking using a colander.
- Cut the potato into cubes.
- Chop green chillies and curry leaves and set aside.
- Heat oil in skillet until hot, then add mustard seeds and let them splutter.
- Add cumin seeds and let it sizzle for a few seconds.
- Then add the potatoes and cook for about three minutes until the potatoes are golden brown.
- Add raw peanuts and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Mix chopped green chillies, curry leaves and cook for another minute, then add the sabudana.
- Add salt and chili powder and cook for a few more minutes until the sabudana becomes translucent.
- Remove from heat and garnish with coriander.
- This vegan khichdi is ready!
Related products in this article: